Tarangire National Park is a seasonal park located in northern Tanzania. It features a lot of migratory movement within the greater ecosystem in Tarangire. The Dry season runs between June and October and attracts large herds of wildlife to the Tarangire River. During this period, the number of elephants which can be spotted here is spectacular.
The main feature in the park is the Tarangire River. The river can get very dry, but the park is thickly vegetated with mixed woodland and acacia shrubs. Expect to see plenty of big baobab trees. The south and east parts of the park boast a big seasonal swamp network, which is an important water catchment area.
The Tarangire River attracts plenty of migratory animals in the Dry season including zebra, wildebeest, common eland, gazelle, hartebeest, elephant, and buffalo. Lions can also be spotted.
Dry-country antelope can be spotted in Tarangire, such as the long-necked gerenuk and rare fringe-eared oryx. Interesting wildlife viewing opportunities including buffalo, elephants and Silale Swamp lion can be found in the swampy areas in the south of the park. Visitors will have a chance to see big pythons in the trees when the swamps start drying up.
Best Time to Visit
The best time to visit the park is from late June to October, which is the middle and end of the Dry season. Wildlife viewing is less good during the Wet season when most of the animals migrate out of the park. However, some of the elephants stay inside the park throughout the Wet season.
June to October –Dry Season
- Animals from surrounding areas migrate into the park
- It’s easier to spot wildlife because animals gather around waterholes and rivers and vegetation thins out.
- The weather is sunny.
- The risk of getting malaria is lower since there are fewer mosquitos.
- In the beginning or end of the Dry Season, the abundance of animals can vary greatly. This is dependent on the amount and timing of the rains.
- It is recommended to pack warm clothing from June to August since morning drives can get cold.
November to May –Wet Season
- The vegetation is full and lovely
- This is the low season and raters may be lower.
- It is an ideal time for bird-watching and migratory birds can be seen.
- Wildlife is not as good as in the Dry season because most of the animals migrate out of the park.
- The peak of the Wet season is from March to May.
Tarangire National Park is a part of the popular northern safari circuit and most tourists are visiting this place as part of the safari tour package that also includes a visit to the Ngorongoro Crater and Serengeti. The starting point for most safaris to this circuit is the town of Arusha. The easiest and the best way to get there is to fly to Kilimanjaro International Airport (JRO). This airport is situated 46km/29mi from Arusha. You can take a flight to Julius Nyerere International Airport (DAR) near Dar es Salaam and then book a domestic flight to either Kilimanjaro International Airport (JRO) or Arusha Airport (ARK).
Travelers who are searching for a cheap flight can fly to Nairobi in Kenya and take a bus that operates between Arusha and Nairobi. The pick-up is in the morning and you should arrive to Arusha around 4 PM.
There are also regular flights from Serengeti and Arusha to Tarangire. It is a 2-hour drive from Arusha to the entrance gate of the park. It’s relatively easy to drive to Lake Manyara as the drive is two-hours long. The drive to the Ngorongoro crater which is 180km/110mi away lasts about four hours.
Airlines & Ticket Prices
To find out which airlines can take you to Kilimanjaro International Airport (JRO) or Arusha Airport (ARK) please check Skyscanner. For multiple destination flights and to see how much the tickets will cost you please check Expedia.
In most cases, the tour operator is in charge of booking domestic and charter flights as part of the tour package. Several local carriers offer domestic flights.
- Coastal Aviation flies to Tarangire
- Safari Air Link flies to Tarangire
- Air Tanzania flies to Arusha and Kilimanjaro Airport
- Precision Air flies to Arusha and Kilimanjaro Airport
- ZanAir flies to Arusha